We all love receiving FedEx packages, but none of us want to be hit by a FedEx truck in a traffic accident. Unfortunately, these accidents happen more often than you might think. FedEx was founded in 1973 and has more than 73,000 vehicles on the road. In a two-year period leading up to October 2020, states reported that FedEx vehicles were involved in 2,237 accidents, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Of these, 63 were fatal and 745 resulted in injuries, according to FMCSA.
FedEx is a well-respected company, but traffic accidents do happen to freight forwarders and delivery companies. It’s part of the industry risk. If you or a loved one were injured in a FedEx truck accident, you may be eligible for financial compensation. There is a long road to recovery for accident victims and you don’t have to walk alone. The skilled and experienced personal injury attorneys at Guajardo & Marks have represented dozens of clients who have been involved in truck and delivery vehicle accidents. We will fight hard and tirelessly to get the justice you deserve. To learn more about how we can help, call us at 972-774-9800. The first call is free.
What to do if a FedEx truck hits my car?
If you’re wondering what to do when a FedEx truck hits your car, you are not alone. It’s not every day that unsuspecting motorists collide with the white, purple, and orange vans. But when it happens, you want to know what your rights are.
A typical FedEx delivery truck has a gross vehicle weight range in excess of 26,000 pounds. FMCSA data shows FedEx employs more than 110,000 drivers and FedEx vehicles covered 2,790,040,000 miles on the road in 2019.
If you’ve been injured in a FedEx truck accident, filing a personal injury lawsuit may be the appropriate next step. This is especially true when there is evidence that the driver was overworked and tired, the truck was improperly maintained, or repeated safety issues were ignored. Proof of negligence can be a key factor in winning a personal injury and a qualified attorney knows what questions to ask and how to decipher complicated witness testimony and accident evidence.
You can be contacted immediately after a crash by a FedEx representative or their insurance company, and they may even offer you a check to cover financial damage. It is extremely important that you reach out to your attorney and direct all communications through him or her. The goal of any insurance company is to protect their customer and get you to settle for as little as possible. That is their job. You need someone who will fight for you and who can compete against aggressive lawyers and negotiators from insurance companies. It is important that you not sign anything or cash any checks before speaking to your lawyer. In many cases, a personal injury attorney can negotiate a higher settlement amount than the insurance company originally offered.
I was hit by a FedEx truck. What now?
Every time you’ve been in a car accident – including a FedEx truck – there are certain things you should do. These include:
- See a doctor immediately. If your injuries are severe, get an ambulance to the emergency room for tests, x-rays, and treatments. If your injuries are less severe, see your GP or emergency center quickly for an exam. Delays can be harmful to health and result in important medical information being lost or misplaced.
- Call 911 and ask law enforcement to respond to the scene. You will need to file a police report that contains valuable information that can be taken to court.
- Get the FedEx driver’s name. Vehicle number and driver’s license information.
- When there are witnesses and bystanders Get their names and contact information. Your lawyer can later question them about what they saw and heard.
- If you are able Use your phone camera to take pictures the accident site and your injuries. A picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to showing the severity of an accident.
- Answer the questions from first responders and police officers succinctly, however don’t say more than necessary. Do not try to explain your reaction, and most importantly, do not acknowledge guilt or responsibility for the accident.
- Hire a qualified and experienced personal injury attorney right now.
Contact a veteran FedEx truck injury attorney today
If you or a loved one were injured or killed in a FedEx delivery truck accident, your world has been turned upside down. Medical bills go up, you can’t work, and income goes down. You may struggle with depression and hopelessness as you watch your plans for the future fade. You don’t have to suffer alone and your family’s future can be protected. You may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses you suffered through no fault of your own. A skilled personal injury attorney can fight for your rights and make sure you and your family have the resources you need to survive your injuries and build a meaningful future.
Guajardo & Marks lawyers have helped countless families like you by negotiating a financial settlement after a truck accident. We can help you too. We are aggressive and tireless in representing our customers and we won’t stop until we get justice for you. To learn more about how we can help, call us at 972-774-9800. The first call is free.