Senator Rand Paul, R-Ky., Said Monday that Washington prosecutors told him they had no plans to investigate the origins of the protesters who molested him and his wife at the Republican National Convention last August.
“The US attorney for DC confirmed to me today that they will not be conducting an investigation into who is funding the thugs who attacked my wife and me and sent a DC police officer to the hospital,” Paul wrote on Twitter.
The DCUS law firm could not be immediately reached for comment on Paul’s tweet.
A crowd of protesters confronted Paul and his wife as he walked out of the White House grounds after President Trump’s keynote address at Congress. Protesters urged Paul to acknowledge the death of Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old paramedic who was fatally shot in an encounter with police who were pursuing an arrest warrant on March 13.
While appearing on Fox and Friends in August, Paul noted that he was the author of the Justice for Breonna Taylor Act, a bill banning no-knock warrants. He suggested that the crowd he faced was related to “interstate criminal traffic that is paid for across state lines,” and called on federal authorities to investigate.
KELLEY PAUL SAYS DC VIOLENCE OF THE TRUMP SUPPORTERS BRINGING TERRIBLE MEMORIES BACK.
“I promise you that at least some of the members and the people who attacked us were not from DC, they flew here on a plane, they all have fresh new clothes and they were paid to be here,” said Paul. “It is a crime to do that and it must be prosecuted. The FBI has to investigate. “
Paul was one of several RNC attendees who were confronted with protesters after the event. A video of the encounter showed no violence against Paul.
At the time, Paul tweeted that he had been “attacked by an angry mob” and said local police had “literally saved our lives from a crazy mob”.