George Gascón plans to reopen Four LA police taking pictures investigations for overview upon taking up as district legal professional – The Mercury Information

0
15
George Gascón plans to reopen 4 LA police shooting investigations for review upon taking over as district attorney – The Mercury News

Four cases of fatal police shootings in Los Angeles County are on the brink of resumption after George Gascón wins the election against incumbent Jackie Lacey as the next District Attorney.

Gascón, who ran on a judicial reform platform, announced his intention to reopen the cases if he wins the election in November. Lacey, the first female and first female black attorney in LA County, admitted the race last week.

In Los Angeles County, every time a law enforcement officer uses violence, an independent investigation is conducted by the district attorney to determine whether the officer acted within the law.

“The community needs to know that police officers who commit harm will be brought to justice,” Gascón said in a statement Friday. “We can’t expect the community to trust us if we don’t stick to the same standards that we stick to the community.”

Gascón served as a district attorney in San Francisco after a 40-year career as a law enforcement officer. He worked his way through the ranks of the Los Angeles Police Department to serve as deputy chief before earning the rank of police chief in Mesa, Arizona and San Francisco.

He said his office plans to reopen the cases as soon as possible and that those involved will be held accountable when warranted.

Lacey’s office declined to comment on Gascón’s intention to reopen the cases on Friday.

Gardena police shoot a man for not following instructions

In this image dated June 2, 2013, an image from the Gardena police dash cam video, an officer on the right points a gun at Ricardo Diaz-Zeferino, left, and two friends as he investigates a bicycle theft in Gardena, Calif. courtesy of Gardena) police station)

Ricardo Diaz-Zeferino, 35, was shot dead by Gardena police after violating their orders in a robbery in June 2013. The dashcam video of the incident, due to be released by a federal judge, made national news.

Diaz-Zeferino was not armed, but lowered his hands several times when the police ordered him to keep them up. He was shot eight times after pulling his hands down and removing his baseball cap. A second man with Diaz-Zeferino was also shot injured.

The police mistakenly suspected that Diaz-Zeferino and two others had stolen a bicycle. It was later learned that the stolen bike belonged to Diaz-Zeferino’s brother and that he and two friends were helping with the search.

The city paid $ 4.7 million to settle a federal lawsuit.

“Simply put, failure to obey an officer’s order is no justification for deadly violence,” Gascón said in the letter, adding that the officers never judged whether Diaz-Zeferino had disobeyed for any other reason.

A toxicological report found that Diaz-Zeferino was drunk and had methamphetamine in his system at the time of his death.

The case was independently reviewed by a former Los Angeles Police Department captain, who concluded that an error by dispatchers in classifying the call as a robbery rather than a petty theft was the cause of the officers’ aggressive response.

Lacey’s office concluded that the officers were acting in lawful self-defense.

Long Beach officer shoots unarmed teenagers

TDB L GASCON 1114.05A photo of Hector Morejon is seen over the shoulder of his mother, Lucia Morejon, who is surrounded by a family holding a press conference to contact the community and Long Beach Police for information about the death of their 19-year-old Son’s begging / brother Hector Morejon in Long Beach, CA. Friday, May 1, 2015. (Thomas Cordova, file photo)

19-year-old Hector Morejon was shot dead by a Long Beach police officer who peeked in a window during a trespassing and vandalism phone call and saw a man hold out his arm in a shooting stance, the officer said.

According to a testimony from another man in the unit, Morejon was unarmed but may have a glove in hand and was pointing to two others who were sleeping in the apartment when the officer fired.

The public prosecutor’s office declined to prosecute the officer, but described his decision-making as “troubling,” also because he did not announce his presence when looking through the window.

The officer shot once and hit Morejon in the back. He was pronounced dead in a hospital.

The city paid $ 1.5 million to settle a lawsuit brought by Morejon’s family.

Long Beach Police Department issued a statement saying it had not been contacted about the retrial. “However, we are always open to impartial and objective review of the facts and evidence in cases involving our officers by the prosecutor. ”

Lacey’s office concluded that it could not prove beyond any doubt that the officer’s actions were unlawful.

Gascón criticized Lacey’s office for focusing almost entirely on the witness’s lack of credibility, rather than the evidence.

“In order to take a firing position, Morejon (the officer) had to face, and that is not the equivalent of a bullet going into Morejon at the back,” he wrote.

Torrance officers shoot man in allegedly stolen car

1219 NWS TDB L MITCHELL 1219A sign is displayed during a news conference where Christopher DeAndre Mitchell’s family said they filed a lawsuit against the city over Mitchell’s death by police. (Photo by Nathaniel Percy / SCNG)

Two Torrance police officers were cleared of misconduct in the fatal shooting of 23-year-old Christopher Deandre Mitchell in December 2018. However, Gascón noted that an officer gave Mitchell conflicting orders prior to the shooting.

Officers found Mitchell in the driver’s seat of a suspected stolen car parked in a grocery store parking lot.

When an officer contacted Mitchell he noticed the hilt of a firearm between Mitchell’s legs but never passed the observation on to his partner, Gascón wrote. The officer ordered Mitchell not to move, later ordered him to get out of the car, and fired a second later when Mitchell lowered his hands. His partner then fired two shots.

All three beat Mitchell, who died.

Gascón said it would have taken Mitchell a considerable amount of time to remove the rifle and face the officers. It was therefore questionable whether Mitchell posed an imminent threat.

Lacey’s office concluded that the officers were acting in lawful self-defense.

The shooting sparked protests against Black Lives Matter at City Hall for several months, which affected Torrance City Council meetings.

A federal lawsuit filed by the family remains open in court.

The Los Angeles officer shoots a drunk homeless man during the fight

TDB L GASCON 1114.04Brendon Glenn, 29, was shot dead by a Los Angeles police officer during a fight in Venice in April 2015. (Courtesy V. DeSimone Law via AP)

Despite a recommendation by then-LAPD chief Charlie Beck to file charges, Lacey’s office declined to prosecute an LAPD officer for killing 29-year-old Brendon Glenn twice during a fight outside a bar in Venice in May 2015 Shot back.

Glenn was shot dead while fighting with two officers outside a bar where he had fought a bouncer. LAPD officials said Glenn did not attempt to take either officer’s weapons.

The police were originally called in to ask Glenn to leave the area because, according to the 911 caller, he was loud and disgusting at another nearby bar.

Lacey’s office declined to bring charges because it believed there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond doubt that the officer was not lawfully defending, the DA report said.

The official has since resigned from the ministry and the city has paid $ 4 million to settle an unlawful death lawsuit filed by Glenn’s relatives.

The Los Angeles Police Department was not immediately available to provide an explanation for this story. The Gardena and Torrance Police Department did not respond to requests for comment.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here