Attorneys for teen accused in Mayfair Mall taking pictures need case stored in juvenile courtroom

0
15
Attorneys for teen accused in Mayfair Mall shooting want case kept in juvenile court

Attorneys for the 15-year-old, accused of shooting eight people in Mayfair Mall last month, plan to challenge prosecutors’ attempts to bring his case to an adult court. During a virtual trial Thursday, a Milwaukee County judge scheduled a personal hearing on the matter on February 16. The teen’s attorney is asking for any discoveries, including police reports of the mall shooting, but the state fears that will turn a waiver hearing into a trial. “What the waiver has to do here and what the court has to decide in the waiver is whether a case of this severity and type should be tried in the juvenile court or in the adult court,” said prosecutor Gilbert Urfer. “We simply cannot have a full and fair discussion of the nature and gravity of the crime in this case if the defense is essentially told to do so blindly,” said defense attorney Paul Refelj. Judge Brittany Grayson said she would hold another Zoom hearing on the defense motion in January for more police reports on the case. According to the juvenile delinquency petition, the teenager and a friend were at the mall that Friday when the friend came across a group of people walking down an escalator, yelling, and then beating one person in the group. Witnesses told police that the teenager was further back and “assumed the stance of a gunman”. He started shooting a pistol from the waistband, the petition said. The teenager fled and was arrested the following Sunday in a car with Illinois license plates, a packed bag, and the gun police that was petitioned used for the shooting. Although Thursday’s hearing was a hearing, WISN 12 News was told that the teen will not file a request until the waiver issue is resolved. He is still in the juvenile detention center. The teen faces eight charges of reckless first degree injury, a dangerous weapon, one for each person police said he shot. They all survived.

Attorneys for the 15-year-old, accused of shooting eight people in Mayfair Mall last month, plan to challenge prosecutors’ attempts to bring his case to an adult court.

During a virtual trial Thursday, a Milwaukee County judge scheduled a personal hearing on the matter on February 16.

The teen’s attorney is asking for any discoveries, including police reports from the mall shootings, but the state fears a waiver hearing could be turned into a trial.

“What the waiver has to do here and what the court has to decide in the waiver is whether a case of this severity and type should be tried in the juvenile court or in the adult court,” said prosecutor Gilbert Urfer.

“We simply cannot have a full and fair discussion of the nature and gravity of the crime in this case if the defense is essentially told to do so blindly,” said defense attorney Paul Refelj.

Judge Brittany Grayson said she would hold another Zoom hearing on the defense motion in January for more police reports on the case.

According to the juvenile delinquency petition, the teenager and a friend were at the mall that Friday when the friend came across a group of people walking down an escalator, yelling, and then beating one person in the group.

Witnesses told police that the teenager was further back and “assumed the stance of a gunman”.

He started shooting a pistol from the waistband, the petition said.

The teenager fled and was arrested the following Sunday in a car with Illinois license plates, a packed bag, and the gun police that was petitioned used for the shooting.

Although Thursday’s hearing was a hearing, WISN 12 News was told that the teen will not file a lawsuit until the waiver issue is resolved.

He remains in custody in the juvenile detention center.

The teenager faces eight reckless first degree injuries charges with a dangerous weapon, one for each person police said shot.

They all survived.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here